The Experience of Modern Sculpture: A Guide to Enjoying Works of the Past 100 Years - Philip F. Palmedo

Disclaimer: ARC via Netgalley

I am not a Modern Art type of a girl, at least not usually.  But after a visit to the Hirshhorn Gallery and National Gallery, I appreciate some of it.  Not all of it, so if you want a detailed review of this book that will talk about art criticism and what not, sorry can’t do it for you.

Palmedo’s book divides sculpture into different aspects.  These aspects include not only material and nature, but also the idea of movement as shown in the art.  The use of these chapters actually makes it easier for the modern art newbie, such as me, to not only follow along but to understand the development of modern sculpture.  The nature section is in particular awe inspiring in terms of the work showcased.

The pictures and artists that Palmedo uses seem to be varied enough for artists that even I recognized, Warhol; to those that I didn’t, such as all the artists in the nature section.

All in all this is a good introduction.