Thanks 3Ms!!!!!!!

The Autumnlands Volume 1: Tooth and Claw - Benjamin Dewey, Jordie Bellaire, Kurt Busiek

Disclaimer: ARC via Netgalley.

Also a thank you to Merry Meerkat who read and reviewed this.  It was because of her(?) review that I picked it up.

This collects issues 1-6 of Autumnlands, which quite frankly, just might be enough to get me to actually by comics as single issues again.

Because seriously – hot damn!

This is what comics should be.

Screw that.  This is what story telling should be.

Autumnlands opens in a world where a class of animal people is losing magic.  There is a second class of animal people – homogeneous, dare I saw Natives, - buffalos who deal the high class - various animal people (owls, dogs, cats, warthogs what not) who have magic and live in the sky.  It is hard not to see a comparison between Aboriginal people of various continents and European settlers because of the style of the “cultured” animal group and the buffalo tribe.

Because the magic seems to be fading, there is an attempt to bring back a champion to restore magic.

Is it too much of a spoiler to say that it works as well as you would think?

And I love who the champion is.

The story is told largely by and though the view of Dusty, a young magic user who lives in the city above.  He’s a dog, a bull terrier.  There is some humor when Dusty points this out to the champion that anyone who has a dog will totally love.

The world building is solid, and while the reasons for why things are the way they are in this world is not revealed in this collection, there are enough hints and flashes to see some connections.  The greatest selling point of the story is all the questions about morality and ethics as well as the study of sexism and racism.  For instance, there is the issue of the air city dwellers and the buffalo tribe. This, in the book itself, is specism.  Yet, it is very easy to see a parallel in history.  Additionally, it is quite easy to see similarities to how Lady Gharta is treated by some of the other magic users and how women are treated in society today.  Is it because she is too radical or, as it seems here, because she is too smart and not traditionally attractive?  Is she being judged by her skill or by her gender and looks?  And her significant other, that was an awesome development, I must say.  Though I do have to wonder certain things, even if they are none of my business.

Highly recommended.