The Mutts Winter Diaries - Patrick McDonnell

Disclaimer: ARC via Netgalley.

A few years ago, I stopped playing my city’s local paper simply because it sucked.  It really did.  I heard that it has gotten better, but I don’t know.  The only thing that I have missed from that paper was McDonnell’s Mutts.  (Yes, I know, but reading it in a newspaper is different, okay?).

Mutt is great because Earl and Mooch and their people and friends are anyone’s pets.  Your dog or cat may look different but they either act like Earl and Mooch all the time, or act like one of the supporting animals.  It’s not like Garfield or Heathcliff.  Furthermore, McDonnell does quite a bit about animal rescue and shelters.  It’s hard not to like this strip.

The Winter Diaries are pretty much what the gang gets up to or doesn’t get up to, in winter.  They try hibernating.  They meet a penguin, who may, just may, be a stand in for people in general, and they hang with bears.  We see what the squirrels get up to and watch Mooch try to find two identical snowflakes.

And then there is the evil weatherman.

At the end of the book is a brief guide to what animals featured in the comic really, truly do during the winter and what you can do to make life a bit easier for them.

And this is what makes Mutts wonderful because it is for cat and dog lovers, not one or either, and for those who like animals in general.  It’s funny because it is true.

I mean, what cat owner hasn’t been spooned by the furry beast and what dog doesn’t got boing when on a walk?