Banned Book 10 - Where's Waldo

Where's Waldo? The Spectacular Poster Book - Martin Handford Where's Waldo? The Great Picture Hunt - Martin Handford

Yup, Where’s Waldo has been banned and challenged because there is an apparently a lady without a bikini top in one of the pictures.

Honestly, how did whoever find that lady?  The amount of dedication that such a feat must required is simply awe inspiring. I hope they work at some intelligent gathering service that determines important thing.

Ah, who I am kidding.  Seriously, what kind of person does that?  Am I the only one who is imagining some person in a dimly lit attic bent over a sticky copy of Waldo with a face alternating between fascination and horror?

I haven’t gone looking for the half naked lady.  This is in part because I don’t think she really exists.  How often do we see things that aren’t really there?  How often does cereal look like Jesus or the Virgin and everyone can see it but you?

Happens to me all the time.

Even if the lady is topless, what is so scary about breasts?  I mean, okay, if you’re having one of those drug induced dreams where the nipples turn into eyes, I can understand.  But that’s not the case here.  I know nudity is a thing, and it should, in general, be left to the parents to determine exposure.  Yet, again, why is what that one group gets to determine what is good for all?  If you don’t want your child to read it, fine.  But why can’t I or my child?

The banning and challenging of Waldo isn’t because of a guy in glasses wearing a striped shirt and blue pants isn’t spooky looking, but because of possible nudity.  Possible female nudity.  Would it be the same level of protest if a guy were flashing his breasts?  And why can guys flash their breasts?  Including some men who should be wearing bras.

So Waldo touches on a deeper societal issue, doesn’t it?