The Land Shall Be Deluged in Blood: A New History of the Nat Turner Revolt - Patrick H. Breen

Disclaimer: ARC via Netgalley.

Before reading this book, I had known of Nat Turner’s rebellion, but only in the most general sense.  In my American history classes, we spent time on it, a little more than we spent on John Brown, but the nitty-gritty and the areas of debate were largely left untouched.  Therefore, when I saw Breen’s book up on Netgalley, I decided to read it.

Breen gives a detailed history of the rebellion but also of why those in the surrounding area did not join the rebellion.  As much as he can, Breen gives biographic details of the slaves involved in the rebellion.  He covers not only the rebellion but the trials as well as the after effects.  Perhaps the most interesting part of the book is the comparison to Haiti.  Breen considers the confessions of Turner, the statements he made prior to his hanging.

In all, it is a gripping read that shreds light on an event that every American should know more about.