Honour on Trial: The Shafia Murders and the Culture of Honour Killings - Paul Schliesmann

I remember hearing about this case when it first happened and then the US media would mention it but not really focus on it.

Schliesmann's writing is good and gripping. You can easily see why he won awards for his reporting of the case. What stops this from being more than three stars for me is two reasons -

1. It is interesting that in a book about how men see women and honor that Schliesmann does mention, more than once, how the daughters and wife who were murdered were beautiful. He's right - they are beautiful. But then when he mentions the mother (also the wife) who helped with the murders, he points out that she wasn't that good looking (why she isn't as beautiful as her daughters and co-wife, she isn't ugly. She also gave birth to like 10 children, so maybe that has something to do with it). Why does either one matter? He doesn't talk about the men in terms of their looks. It felt a little strange.

2. At the end of the book I wanted something more. There is a nod, a single chapter, where Schliesmann ties the story into community and societal failures as well as other honor killings in North America. This chapter could have been longer, more detailed, more something. Was any change made in how things are run in Montreal so that more children couldn't fall though the cracks? How about immigration reforms?

Still, I am glad I read the book and it is well worth reading.