Yesterday, I posted a list of books in honor of Disney's new princess Elena. My cousins (okay, really, technically, my cousin and his wife, but writing cousin-in-law is just strange. They are both cousins) liked it, and I realized that I didn't really include any kids books, mostly because I don't have kids. But my cousin does. So, here is a kid version. Most of the books would be classified as children's as opposed to YA. This version is just princesses.
1. The Hero and the Crown by Robin McKinley - Technically YA, but McKinely's books always feature strong woman/girls. This one is about a princess who kills dragons.
2. Sleeping Ugly by Jane Yolen - an unusual princess story to say the least.
3. Everafter High (series) by Shannon Hale - I had various reactions to the freebie character introductions for the series. But Cinderella character, Ashlynn, is well done, and the idea is interesting.
4. Princess Evangeline and Fiery Fiasco by Kristen Thomas - I picked this up free for kindle, and while there could be more showing and not telling, it is about a princess with spunk.
5. Greek Princess Stories (series) by Kim Charity. While not strictly following the Greek myths, this series gives characters, such as Helen, more to do than look pretty.
6. A Wolf at the Door ed. by Ellen Datlow and Terri Windling. This is Datlow/Windling first collection of fairy tale retellings for children, and there are two others in the series. All are wonderful. This has one of my favorite retellings of Cinderella, "Cinder Elephant".
7. Ordinary Princess by M. M. Kaye - she is that way because she was dropped as a baby. Lovely story.