Haunted House Square

The Bell Witch: An American Haunting - Brent Monahan

Before I start the review proper, I should note that one really get thing about this audio book was the reader. He was great.

The Bell Witch is a famous American haunting. Monahan claims that this is an account written by Richard Powell who married Betsy Bell, the young woman who was one of the people haunted by the Bell Witch. So this is one of those fact mixed with fiction books that yanks my chain.

The problem with the claim is that the narrative doesn't quite make sense and is put in a vaccum. I think the conclusion is interesting, but Powell's narrative leaves out certain details, like all the time he was crushing on Betsy he was married. While a narrative written to your daughter wouldn't mention that, if this was truly a work of non-fiction shouldn't the editor note that?

And if you don't, why don't you edit out the problematic language?

And those are major problems. And yet, I wonder if this version isn't simply about gender and victimhood. Considering that the teller is a man who married a girl who is younger enough to be his daughter and who he has been in love with since she was 12, he is, in fact, a bit of predator. Considering her parent's history this too is rather interesting. So I wonder if that is the deeper point here - a point about gender and abuse.