Istanbul: Memories and the City

Istanbul: Memories and the City - Orhan Pamuk This is the second book by Pamuk that I have read. I would like to point out that it seems that this book should be read either before or after The Museum of Innocence because I found myself making it notes of where the novel and this memoir collide.I've never been to Istanbul, but now I want to go. What Pamuk does is not only describe his family but a city as a conflict between East and West. While it is not something that my own western city feels, it is somewhat akin to the feeling that Philadelphia has of being mashed between N.Y. and D.C. (Though in this day and age, it is a good thing that everyone forgets about us).The book is part biography and part meditation on culture and its feeling of lost youth and innocence carries though to The Museum of Innocence. There are some places in the novel where you will laugh out aloud, for example where Pamuk apolgies to everyone he imagined killing or dying. There are also some extremely moving passages, not just in describing his family, or the feeling of Istanbul, but his only place in society.I do wish, however, that more infromation about the pictures was given and I do wish that they had captions.