Well

Star Wars Vol. 1: Skywalker Strikes - Jason Aaron, Laura Martin, John Cassaday

I have a very complicted relationship with Star Wars and Star Trek.  In part, it is because both mammoths are a part of my childhood.  New Hope was the first movie I saw in the movie theater.  Star Trek was life blood.  I remember playing both growing up.  Man, you should have seen my class illustrate the epic Yoda/Vader fight we were positive was coming in Jedi.

But they have their issues.  And people don't like it when you bring it up.  I mean a certain former Jame T Kirk harassed a Penn prof when she said while advance for its time STOS didn't do that well with gender.  She's right.  And this is also true of the ST:TNG and Star Wars.

One thing that always bugged me about Star Wars was that it was so male centric.  New Hope is set up that we feel more for Luke about Kenobi's death than Leia losing her family, home, and people.  Then there are some really strange choices in Jedi - like Leia getting her hair done with the Ewoks, and why isn't she a general, and Han is - Han who just spent a whole bunch of time frozen?

It's true that various tie ins - books and previous comic runs - have done much to either mellow, correct, or fill in those iffy things.  I still have a Marvel comic Original Star Wars series issue about Leia during the time Han is frozen.  She meets a stormtrooper who has a certain piece of rock around his neck.

Skywalker Strikes is as good as that issue.  It's set between New Hope and Empire.  Leia leads Luke and Han on a mission or two (until Han, being Han, screws it up).  Leia kicks ass.  Leia and Han try to take out Vader.  Leia does so many things.  True, the focus is on Luke coming to terms with who or what he is or can be, but its damn good storytelling and writing.