Hockey Romance

Irresistible You (The Chicago Rebels Series Book 1) - Kate Meader

I don't read much romance, but I go into these periods where I want romance.  I admire romance writers because they seem to work the hardest.  I picked up the prequel to this series when a friend said it was free.  I read it and enjoyed it, so brought the first book.  Nine months or so later is when I get around to reading it.

The premise of the books is that three half sisters (including one long lost, just discovered sister) have inherited a hockey team from their dearly departed dad, who was really a smuck to at least two of them.  This, the first volume, is about the eldest sister, Harper, who while not a  hockey player dreams and desires to be a hockey manager of some type.  Part of the conditions on the will is that the three sisters who inherit the team must get the team to the playoffs in the first year or it will be sold.

Honesty, I picked this up because I liked Harper in the prequel.  She is somewhat more insecure here, which is okay because we tend to be more insecure in our hands than we let show.  Her true love is Remy, an older hockey player who really wants to win the Cup before he retires and plows seeds into a woman because he really wants that family.  Sadly, he finds himself traded to the last place Chicago Rebels, and that is not in his plans.  He doesn't care that the owner and acting GM is a woman, he just wants to be on a winning team.

The sex scenes are hot, even if the initial romance feels more like lust than anything else.  There is not real example of instant chemistry (though we are told that both feel it), but when they actually talk, the relationship works better.

For me the problem is the ending.  I know this is the first in a series, so the whole bit about the championship would be unresolved.  It's just the ending feels very, very rushed.  I get that's romance, but some of the decisions seem a bit slightly out of character - i.e. Harper giving up the amount of control that she does, there is no discussion of children, while his mother likes Harper she doesn't respond to Harper as a would be wife to her son and this is totally dropped.

It's not a bad book, but the ending was off.