Watch out for the Smog

Death in the Air: The True Story of a Serial Killer, the Great London Smog, and the Strangling of a City - Kate Winkler Dawson

Dawson's book chronicles the battle against the London Smog and the murders of Reg Christie. There isn't much to connect the stories outside of the time period - so there doesn't seem to be a connection between the smog and the murder.

Which in lesser hands would make at least one of the stories feel like padding. It is to Dawson's credit that this does not occur.

I was slightly more interested in the Christie case because I recently read Who's Buried Where in London which mention and listed the grave sites of the victims. Yet, I found the smog story to be the most interesting, in part because the people that the smog kills are everyday people, in part because of the relevance to today's climate (why the earth hasn't killed people yet, I don't know), and because the smog deals with politics and change.

This isn't to say that the serial killer isn't just as insulting, in particular when he goes on the ran and is almost like the smog, an not 100% visible killer, but I just found the smog story more interesting, and quite frankly, would have gladly just read about that. However, I can understanding the desire to pair it with a murder - to be honest, it is what drew my attention - so the marketing does make sense.

If you are interested in the history of London, this is an important read.