Goblin Quest (Jig the Goblin Series #1)

Goblin Quest - Jim C. Hines It's Jig, not goblin.Actually, it's Jig the goblin in the role of fairy tale Simpleton.I've broken with D&D tradition and rounded up, in case anyone is keeping track, after all one review rounded down.Goblin Quest isn't as polished as Hines' The Stepsister Scheme and it seems that Hines hadn't fully developed his style as of yet. In truth, some areas could use a tighter editor.There, that's the bad stuff out of the way.Hines is brillant. He's wonderful. He's cool. He's a D&D geek. The amount of in jokes that reference D&D as well as the various tie in novels such as Dragons of Autumn Twilight and the other Dragonlance novels totally rocked!I mean, c'mon, I can't be the only person who figured out who Ryslind was really suppose to be.Like in his later work, Hines makes wonderful use of cliche conventions (in this case, D&D gaming ones). You have the thief, the wizard, the brawn, the dwarf, the elf, and the dragon. Hines, however, subverts these. For instance, when the elf reveals her true age, Jig is shocked. Her comeback is awesome (I'm not going to spoil it for you). It also is no surprise that those characters who would be second tier in a gaming novel are the most pracitical and able ones here.There are also a couple references to LOTR. But the best has to be the Necromancer.