The Omnivore's Dilemma: A Natural History of Four Meals

The Omnivore's Dilemma: A Natural History of Four Meals - Twice a week, there is a farmer's market at my local park. It is half a block away from my house. For the last several years, I've brought food there. I can no longer eat, for instance, apples from the supermarket. They taste waxy. Considering how much I like my local farmer's market, it's surprising that it took me so long to read this book.Seeing marked down to a dollar helped motivate me.It's a good book. It's a scary book. It makes me want to buy everything from the farmer's market (which is impossible because they don't have chocolate and I need chocolate). I also have to say something that I never thought I would say.Corn sex is fasinating. It really, truly is.In thoughtful, clear, and inticing prose (much like a fine wine), Pollan leds the reader down a menu of food. The first part of the book concerns America as the corn chip nature. It is frightening how much corn is in things; the second section looks at organic foods and farm foods (or post organic), and the third concerns Pollan hunting and gathering his own food. Of the three sections, I enjoyed the second the best. Pollan describes Polyface farm in great detail and no romance. He also raises and discusses important points about meat and slaughtering. The section where Pollan discusses his own hunting is interesting because Pollan himself is not ashamed or afarid to show the reader his exhilaraion and shame. Even the section on corn is an interesting and thought provoking reader. Better yet, Pollan doesn't preach!