Chef - Jaspreet Singh Full disclosure for purposes of this review: I won this on the Goodreads giveaways, which was very cool because I really wanted to read this after hearing an interview with Jaspreet Singh on BBC's The Strand.I have never been to India. I've watched Michael Wood's series about it, but never actually set foot there. I also know nothing about Indian literature (outside of legends), so I have no idea how this book compares with current Indian literary product.It is an affecting and moving book. The kind of book that sticks with you after you have read it. The book is a travel to Kashmir, a travel into memory and the pain/effects of the past as well as a ode to food and the act of cooking.Kip travels back to Kashmir years after leaving. He travels back so he can cook the wedding feast for the daughter of the General, whom Kip served under during Kip's time in the army. As he travels to Kashmir and deals with the news of his impending death due to cancer, Kip takes the reader on a journay into his memory by telling a story about his service in Kashmir (the section of India that India and Pakistan fight over). Over the course of the story, the reader gets a sense of the conflict, the price of the conflict, and an idea of modern India (in particular with the characters on the train. If you pay attention to the news, at least two of the couples will be currently revelent). What also occurs is a slight sense of hope mingled with bittersweatness and sorrow. Singh doesn't care about which country is in the right; he simply focuses on how the battle effects those who live a generation removed from parition.Singh's prose is at times poetic: "She is so beautiful. I can't point at a concrete detail of her face and say that is why she is beautiful. I just turn away my eyes" (140). More importantly, Singh has mastered the way of showing the reading without saying more than should be said. His silences speak just as loudly as his words. His recipes speak as loudly as the thoughts, and the description speaks the loudest of all.