The Waste Land and Other Poems - T. S. Eliot There is power in these poems. Religion, death, war, humor, family love. Eliot is one those authors that is taught in both American and English literature courses. I always see him as British. “In the room, the women come and go/Talking of Michelangelo” Eliot’s lines from Prufrock remind me of how we view Eliot’s two greatest poems as well as the poems in this volume. “The Wasteland” and “The Love Song of Alfred J. Prufrock” let the reader into themselves, yet the reader is not let in. Every time the poems are re-read, the reader takes a different point of entry. There are different meta-physical doors – love, death, the war, Arthur, the Fisher King, the affair, London. It is like looking at a work of art and talking about it. There are those who get it, those who don’t, and those who just make noise. Yet some of the other poems in this volume have as much or even more power. My favorite poem is “The Journey of the Magi” which concludes:We had evidence and no doubt, I had seen birth and deathBut had thought they were different; this Birth wasHard and bitter agony for us, like Death, our death.We returned to our places, these KingdomsBut no longer at ease here, in the old dispositionWith an alien people clutching their godsI should be glad of another death And then his painting poems – “Landscapes” that are songs and paintings are in one. The whole volume is faith and art combined.