Four and Twenty Blackbirds - Cherie Priest The creepist, strangest section of this book takes place in a bathroom at a summer camp. It does.Of course, it could have been because I was reading it late at night, in bed, with the crazy homeless group across the street talking very, very, very loudly. (Yes, I know I should be more Christian and they're not harming anyone, but it is freaking midnight!).Nah, it was creepy.Four and Twenty Blackbirds introduces the reader to Eden Moore and her surprising large and very confusing family. Like a certain famous child character in a certain director's first (and only really good) movie, she sees dead people. No, she isn't some clone, and in fact, her reactions are extreme in the opposite way.In this book, we meet Eden as a child and watch her travel into adulthood as she eventually gets around to untangling the mystery of her family's best. This book isn't as funny as Priest's Bloodshot, and the atmosphere is, as the book advertises, southern gothic. What makes the book work is the character building. You believe in the existence of every single character (and this seems to Priest's very strong talent). I also enjoyed the fact that Eden and her family are of mixed race. It should be noted that while North v. South, racism, and classism, make appearances in this novel, they are not closely examined. This is a gothic story about hauntings, in particular the haunting of the past.