Thor - Wayne    Smith There is a movie version of this book.Don't ever watch it!It actually has a good cast, and it's not as bad as the movie version of Possession. The book deserved better though.There are two different types of dog owners, generally speaking. There is the dog owner who gets a dog as some type of symbol. Look, I got me a pit; I'm Mr. Tough Guy. Look, I got a dog for a handbag; I'm the next Paris Hilton. (Why anyone would want to be Paris Hilton, outside of having her money, I don't know). Look, I've got a Dobie, don't you try and mug me. I'm not saying that these people don't love thier pets, but the pet is part symbol for something.Then there is the other type of dog owner. This type of dog owner gets a dog because a dog is a friend, a loyal companion. The dog is treated as a family member, is talked to, is loved, is fed, but still is treated as a dog. In other words, the dog is NOT a handbag, fashion accessory, or fashion model. The dog does not wear sweaters and under no circumstances will the dog ever have its nails done. The dog might get clipped in the summer, if needed, but that's it. No dye jobs, no bows. The dog is allowed to be dirty and smelly, provided it isn't too dirty or smelly. The dog goes to the vet, the dog might go to the groomer depending upon its coat, but the dog will never go to a stylist. The dog is tended to and cared for, not over fed and is walked/exercised enough. The dog is loved but to allowed to be what it is. A dog and not a child.These types of dogs have happy lives and yet, as their owners will tell you, they transend simply being a pet. They are not human, but they can communicate. It's body language, barking, tail wagging, whatever. There is some type of connection that exists between a true dog and its person. A type of connection that will never exist between a cat and the person it co-habits with.If you know what the last two paragraphs are about then you will love Thor. Keep in mind, you might need a few hankies, especially if you have or have had a true dog.The idea behind the book is this. Thor, a German Shepherd, loves his family, his pack. Then a stranger arrives. Thor knows that something is wrong with this stranger, this supposed relative. In fact, supposed relative is a werewolf. Thor, however, is a dog, and he can only speak and comprend like a dog. In other words, he can't tell anyone; he can't even fully explain it to himself.What makes the book succeed is the fact that Smith captures a dog so well. This isn't a version of Watership Down's collie books. If that wasn't enough, Smith also gives the reader the viewpoint of the father in the family, the man who loves his family and loves his dog. Not only does Smith capture true dog/human interaction, but he also touches on what if situtions that dog owners confront only when their nightmares become reality.An excellent book for any dog lover.