Blood and Iron  - Elizabeth Bear I might go back to this book; I don't know. I reached page 196 and realized I didn't care about any of the characters. I wasn't even curious about them. Bear's idea is good, but it seems, as several other reviews have pointed out, that she is throwing every single myth or legend motif into the mix, and it doesn't quite work. In some ways, it feels like she is going down a list. Okay, I mentioned a kelpie, now I need to mention Arthur, and so on. Her twist on Merlin was cool, but even that character feel a little flat. Additionally, strangely enough, there was no real sense of place. There was no real difference in feel from Scotland, New York, and the realm of Faerie. Whether or not this was intentional, I don't know, but it didn't work. In short, Faerie seems like nothing more than abstract castle. There is no real sense of setting.She uses werewolves and pack structure, but it feels more like a bad plot device than anything else. There is no clear sense of magical rules, and while she explains, to a degree, why Seeker serves (she is bound), there is not enough there to explain Seeker's behavior. Additionally, the love Keith has for the Seeker doesn't seem real.