Is Heathcliff a Murderer?: Great Puzzles in Nineteenth-Century Fiction - John Sutherland Sutherland ponders some of the questions that great literature raises. And yes, he does address the title questions, and I find it hard to disagree with him. Really, why is Heathcliff so bloody attractive? He strangles a dog to death! That's the type of man you want to marry?Yeah, yeah, I know; the whole bad boy thing. Right. It shouldn't extend that far.How well you like this book depends upon your relationship to the novels Sutherland examines. Sutherland is intelligent enough to point out that his answers are not "THE ANSWERS" and encourages readers to think of thier own answers to the questions. What Sutherland also does is a give a run down about the current and older theories surronding some of the questions. He does this particularly well in the chapter about Tess of the D'Urbervilles which discusses whether or not Alec is a rapist.I also truly enjoyed the chapter about The Picture of Dorian Graywhere Sutherland explains why people view the story as distrubing. Never really understand that myself. Sure, it's spooky, but it's not really different than other fantasy novels or even other works of the time.Sutherland examines works by Anthony Trollope, Charles Dickens, and George Eliot. He also wades into the discussion about the ending of Villette and Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde. The one drawback is that I really wish that Sutherland had written this book after the BBC's Jekyll series, for I think they got it right there.If you like 19th century literature, this is an excellent companion book, and you do not need to have or even want a degree in English to read it.