Bloody Sunday: Truths, Lies and the Saville Inquiry - Douglas Murray

I think I first heard about the Troubles in Northern Ireland on a Saturday morning.  This is way back when, and before cartoons the networks would put on shows like Lorne Greene’s New Wildness and Wild Kingdom.  It was some type of mandate for educational programming.  One channel had a half program that presented plays with social aspects.  One play, a very good one, was about a group of people trapped in a pub with a bomb right outside the door.  It took place in Northern Ireland.

This was before I heard U2’s “Sunday Bloody Sunday”.

This book looks at Bloody Sunday though the lens of the Saville Inquiry, which took place years after the event and lasted years.    It is a more narrative form of the inquiry; I guess and points to suggests and conclusions.  There is a chapter about each of the major witnesses as well as a section dealing with the actual day itself.   It also looks at the roles of both sides – more damning naturally to the army, but there are some interesting comments about Derry and Bogside.

It would help to have some familiarity of Bloody Sunday before reading this book.